My name is Sofia Matias and I am a professional writer, editor and proofreader based in the South East of Scotland.
I specialise in working with independent authors of Young Adult and genre fiction, arts and humanities students (including ESL), businesses, publishers and publications.
Education & Training
I have a BA in English from Edinburgh Napier University, where I wrote my dissertation on the representation of trans people in children’s literature. At my graduation I was awarded the University Medal for achieving the highest grade of my course.
A lover of learning, I also have a bachelor’s degree in Journalism from the School of Communication and Media Studies in Lisbon, Portugal.
I am an Intermediate Member of the CIEP (Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading), which means I have proven professional experience and qualifications. I abide by its Code of Practice.
Professional and editorial training I have completed includes:
- ‘Proofreading 1: Introduction’ (CIEP)
- ‘Copyediting 1: Introduction’ (CIEP)
- ‘Immersive Copy Editing for Fantasy & Science Fiction’ (ACES: The Society for Editing)
- ‘Copy Editing for Inbound Marketing’ (ACES)
- ‘Writing Ad Copy’ (LinkedIn)
- ‘Handling Non-English Words in English Text’ (ACES)
- ‘Bricklaying: Editing for Structure’ (ACES)
- ‘Editing for Young Readers’ (ACES)
- ‘Inclusive Language’ (ACES)
- ‘Unconscious Bias and the Conscientious Editor’ (ACES)
- ‘Editing in a Multilingual World’ (ACES)
I have two years of in-house magazine publishing experience at The List magazine, producing content for both online and print.
Prior to graduating, and as a result of my experience as a book blogger, I completed a two-week work experience placement in the Publicity department of Hodder & Stoughton and co-hosted events with a New York Times bestselling author.
Before this, all of my professional experience consists of customer service positions (ten years of them!). Working under pressure and communication? Definitely not a problem.
I spend most of my free time consuming media in a variety of forms, from books to films to videogames. I am also interested in mythology (particularly Egyptian and Greek) and US sports.
When not doing any of these I take pleasure in travelling, attending conventions, writing fiction and walking my rescue dog.